Tips on Painting your front door + our new Pink Door – Would you paint your door pink for fall? I have been thinking about this all summer and as soon as mums started showing up at Home Depot, we started looking at paint samples. We used Behr Paint, Sunset Pink.
Finding the right color, (but remember it’s just paint)!
Trying to find the right color can be tricky, but it’s just paint! So we took a few paint chips and walked out to the garden center to see how they looked with nature, and then walking back to the paint counter and we passed the copper pipes. I think that’s where we settled on Sunset Pink. (It could be the name, too. I’m slightly obsessed with the names of paints colors)!
5 Tips on Painting Your Front Door
- Sand the door with a sanding block or a small piece of sandpaper to smooth any previous paint drips.
2. Fill in any slight imperfections in the wood. If you don’t, the paint will illuminate them. We use wood filler, let dry and then sand it smooth when dry. Wipe the door down with a clean, damp cloth.
3. Painter’s tape is your best friend. The time you take to properly tape, the less time you’ll spend scraping and touching up, We tape hinges, doorknobs, glass…anything you don’t want to be painted.
4. Always Paint in the shade. Paint drys much smoother. In the sun, the paint will dry too quickly and the finish will be streaky.
5. Allow the paint to dry for a day to be sure it’s dry before applying a second coat. Remove tape, and use a new razor blade to remove any paint left behind if necessary being cautious around the door hardware to prevent any damage.
Emtek Door Hardware and entryway rug
We have used Emtek Hardware for our exterior and interior doors on our last five houses! They always have exactly the style I want, and you get great quality for a really good price! I’ve talked about it more in this post as well as this one. The rug is from Serena & Lily. The Metallic Suede & Hemp Rug is one that I know they have carried for years. When I worked at the Westport store, we had one in the office/kitchen/break room and so I knew it wore extremely well. This was a very high-traffic area and it always looked great. It works with any style.
Making the Porch Cozy for Fall
We added cozy blush pink throws from Target and our ceramic lanterns from Crate and Barrel. We removed the rug in preparation for winter and to make it look a little different than summer. Really all we did was add the throws! We use the Montecito pillows from Serena & Lily year-round! The pitcher and glassware are also from Serena & Lily.
More inpiration for your outdoor fall doors and decor from these bloggers!
Make sure to check out these amazing posts!
How to Decorate your home With Outdoor Fall Decor | My 100 Year Old Home
Minimalist Fall Porch | Modern Glam
Simple Outdoor Fall Table Decor Ideas | Twelve on Main
Fall Mum Display Ideas for the Front Porch | Happy Happy Nester
Decorating Steps with Pumpkins | Finding Lovely
Fall Porch Decor in Subtle Autumn Colors | Maison de Cinq
Fall Decorating on the Front Porch | Inspiration for Moms
How to Make Pumpkins Last Longer (for decoration or eating!) | The DIY Mommy
Modern Farmhouse Fall Front Porch Decor | The Happy Housie
Would You Paint Your Door Pink for Fall? | Most Lovely Things
Fall Front Door With Pumpkins and Mums | Life is Better at Home