How to set up a movie night In the backyard – it’s an easy way to entertain and all you need is a mini projector and white sheet. You have everything else! It’s a fun thing to do with neighbors, kids, and couples, or make it a girl’s night!
Today I’m joining some friends for outdoor entertaining and having a backyard movie night was the first thing that popped into my mind.
It’s fun for everyone and easily adaptable. The food, drinks, snacks, and of course, the movie are things that you can create an entire theme around. Or you can keep it simple with pizzas, cold drinks, and a fun snack!
Make it a themed movie night!
Having Italy as your theme practically writes itself! Start with the movie. Watch Under the Tuscan Sun or Letters to Juliet and the rest will come.
What to serve at an Italian-inspired movie night: make a Burrata board, homemade pizzas on the grill (or takeout), a Caprese salad, and a gelato board for dessert! Serve chilled red Italian wines, beer, and Pellegrino.
a gelato board for an Italian themed movie night
What to serve at a French-inspired movie night: Serve box dinners with baguette ham, French butter, and cornichon sandwiches, Ina Garten’s French String Bean Salad, and potato chips. Did you know that the French consume potato chips at the same rate as Americans? Yep, 86%, followed closely by the Brits at 84%. Who knew? The French have some interesting flavored potato chips, like roast chicken or Poulet Rôti chips. Of course a nice rosé, Perrier and Orangina!
For dessert: Madeleines! But not just any Madeleines. I’d make a churro version of Madeleine’s with chocolate and salted caramel dipping sauces.
What you’ll need for a successful backyard movie night
- A projector like this one. It’s quite inexpensive and easy to set up.
- A white sheet that you can hang on a flat surface – we used bulldog clips that we attached to the sheet and that way we didn’t need to make holes in the sheet since I’m using a good white sheet from Serena & Lily..as one does…haha. Since it was a bit breezy, Brent also used clips on the bottom of the sheet and then anchored them to white rocks with jute twine. It still looked cool!
- Patio furniture, lawn chairs, beach chairs or a blanket, and several pillows on the ground.
- A stack of throws around to make sure everyone is comfortable. It always gets chilly in the evening.
- Small stools or tables for people to place their drinks
- Lots of candles in hurricanes to make it cozy.
- We bring out our South Seas Side Cart when entertaining outdoors. It’s easy to move and it is the ultimate entertaining piece indoors and out. And it’s on sale right now at Serena & Lily.
- All-natural insect repellent – This is a must for any outdoor gathering. You can read how I make it in this recent post with all the supplies listed! You’re going to want to make it!
Movies for Everyone
Add your favorites in the comments and I’ll add them to the list!
- My Big Fat Greek Wedding
- Mama Mia
- You’ve Got Mail
- Sleepless in Seattle
- Little Manhattan