Need a simple recipe for all those homegrown tomatoes? Make this easy tomato salad with chickpeas and feta. The first time I made it, I knew I had to share! If you have a garden or just some tomatoes growing in your backyard, this recipe is easy to toss together and goes with almost anything! It combines salted fresh chopped tomatoes, chickpeas, fresh basil, feta, pumpkin seeds, almonds, pistachios, and a surprise granola ingredient. I used this recipe, omitted the lavender and golden raisins, and added a little more salt to make it savory and less sweet.
The Main Ingredients You Will Need For this salad
- Tomatoes (you can use any combination)
- Feta cheese
- Olive oil
- Sunflower seeds
- Almond slices
- Chili powder
- Red pepper flakes
Could this be a main course salad?
Absolutely! Adding chickpeas and feta makes it perfect for a light summer dinner. It’s also great as a side salad with a smaller portion. The colors are perfect for any main course, like steak, salmon, or grilled chicken.
What about substitutions?
If you don’t like or have chickpeas, you could try black beans or even edamame. I would not have thought to use edamame, but I read about it here.
You could use spinach or fresh mint if you didn’t have basil, although the basil is so good with this.
For the cheese, you could use goat cheese or any hard cheese diced pretty small.
One of the things I like about salads like this is that you can really use a lot of what you have and make it work!
a simple recipe for all those homegrown tomatoes
Savory and not too sweet granola adds a surprising crunch to this summer salad with homegrown tomatoes.Print
Tomato salad with chickpeas, Feta and Basil
Looking for a recipe to use up some of those homegrown tomatoes?
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- About 2 pounds of ripe tomatoes, chopped into large pieces. (We used a combination of what we had growing in our garden)
- 1 garlic clove. minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6–8 ounces feta cheese
- A handful of basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Then for the crunchy topping:
- 1/4 cup each of the following:
- Roasted, salted, and shelled: pepitas, sunflower seeds, pistachios, almond slices
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt the chopped tomatoes in a bowl and let sit for 10 minutes to bring out the flavor. Add the garlic.
- Assemble the crunchy topping: Roast the nuts in a pan or in the oven making sure not to burn and chop if necessary. (I usually buy them already chopped). Add in the red pepper and chili powder, salt, and combine.
- Next, add the feta, chickpeas, olive oil and gently stir. Pour into individual bowls or a platter and top with torn basil leaves.
- When ready to serve add the crunchy topping and the granola!
Keywords: salad, tomatoes, chickpeas
- Step-by-Step Guide to Art Mode on Samsung Frame TV
- Easy Garlic Butter Candle
- How to create a beautiful pantry in a small space
- How to decorate with Black & White, but make it cozy
- Why this simple chair is the best for any style table
- Make these simple casual bouquets with foraged flowers
- Nine Bloggers Share their outdoor spaces
- Make Lavender Room Spray
- Home Tour: Classic Casual Home
- The Simplest Holiday Gift Wrap Using Kraft Paper And Lights
- Talking Shop with Cait O’keeffe of Serena & Lily
- kitchen Pantry Organization