Tomato salad with chickpeas, Feta and Basil
Looking for a recipe to use up some of those homegrown tomatoes?
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- About 2 pounds of ripe tomatoes, chopped into large pieces. (We used a combination of what we had growing in our garden)
- 1 garlic clove. minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6–8 ounces feta cheese
- A handful of basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Then for the crunchy topping:
- 1/4 cup each of the following:
- Roasted, salted, and shelled: pepitas, sunflower seeds, pistachios, almond slices
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt the chopped tomatoes in a bowl and let sit for 10 minutes to bring out the flavor. Add the garlic.
- Assemble the crunchy topping: Roast the nuts in a pan or in the oven making sure not to burn and chop if necessary. (I usually buy them already chopped). Add in the red pepper and chili powder, salt, and combine.
- Next, add the feta, chickpeas, olive oil and gently stir. Pour into individual bowls or a platter and top with torn basil leaves.
- When ready to serve add the crunchy topping and the granola!
Keywords: salad, tomatoes, chickpeas