The best lemon lava cakes if you love lemon! A few weeks ago on one of our 10 mile NYC walks, we saw on one of those moving carousel advertising signs as we were walking to our car on Madison Avenue, a video showing a lemon cake that looked like a lemon version of the popular chocolate lava cake. It stopped me in my tracks, obviously. Have I been living under a rock? How have I not heard of lemon lava cakes?
What Makes these lemon lava cakes so special?
I think anytime you have a dessert that surprises you, that makes it special. Not unlike the chocolate molten lava cakes that were so popular and on every dessert menu several years ago. But this is lemon, which makes it a little unique…and well, special.
What’s in lemon lava cakes, besides lemon?
- Basic cake ingredients: butter, flour, eggs, salt, and vanilla
- lemon zest
- white chocolate
What special equipement will I need?
- You’ll need 6 ramekins
- Mixing bowls
- A double boiler or I use a heat-proof bowl over a pot of boiling water
- A whisk
- A zester
- A mesh strainer to dust the lemon lava cakes once they are out of the oven and cooled
Here’s how you make lemon lava cakes!Print
Lemon Lava Cakes
The best lemon lava cakes, if you love lemon! They are sort of like chocolate lava cakes, but much easier to make and so good if you love lemon!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: dessert
- Method: easy
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Prepare six 6-oz. ramekins with butter.
- Melt the chocolate and the cubed butter in a small heat-proof glass bowl over a pot of water. (Or you can use a double-boiler) over medium heat, stirring constantly until melted, about 5 minutes. Scrape into a large bowl.
- Stir in flour, sugar, and salt. Whisk in eggs, egg yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon essential oil, lemon curd, and vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared ramekins and set ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes until edges are golden brown and the center is just beginning to set (it should still look a little soft).
- On each cake, run a knife around the edge to loosen and carefully flip ramekin onto a dessert plate. Let stand for a minute or two, then lift off ramekin, easing cake onto a plate.
- Dust cakes with powdered sugar and serve warm.
Every oven is a little different, but over baking will cause the filling to become more custard-like.
Keywords: lemon, desserts, lemon cake, cake, lava cake, lemon desserts