We love these easy mini skillet strawberry shortcakes that can be made ahead for the 4th of July! I’m joining a few friends today to share fun ideas for 4th of July desserts.
- Patriotic Fruit Pizza Dessert from Tatertots & Jello
- Homemade Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bars from Pass the Butter
- 4th of July Fruit Tart from Happy Happy Nester
- American Flag Sheet Cake from Modern Glam
- Individual Skillet Strawberry Shortcake from Most Lovely Things
- Festive 4th of July Gluten Free Muffins from My 100 Year Old Home
- Easy Fourth of July Watermelon Salad from Robyn’s French Nest
- Red Velvet Brownies from Paint Me Pink
- Marshmallow and Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones from My Sweet Savannah
- 4th of July Donuts from Inspiration for Moms
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Bites from Twelve on Main
My recipe uses my mini cast iron skillets for individual strawberry shortcakes
The simple cake topped with macerated strawberries, a couple of blueberries (to make it red, white, and blue for the 4th), and a little whipped cream on top is an easy dessert that can be made ahead assembled right before serving.Print
Mini Skillet Strawberry Shortcakes
Heat oven: 350º.
This recipe filled six 3.5″ individual-sized cast iron skillets.
Grease the cast-iron skillets (or ramekins)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-22 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: dessert
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons milk
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- zest of one lemon
- powdered sugar for dusting
- fresh strawberries and blueberries
- Combine the egg whites, sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla. Whisk in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir gently until combined.
- Add milk and fold into the batter.
- Divide batter into 6 individual skillets or ramekins.
Sifting helps the cakes turn out a little lighter, but I have made them without and they turned out fine.
Keywords: strawberry, strawberry shortcake, dessert, individual desserts, 4th of July dessert
The ingredients you’ll need for these shortcakes.
For the cakes:
- cake flour
- baking powder
- lemon zest (If I don’t have a fresh lemon, I often substitute a few drops of Lemon Essential Oil)
- egg whites
- extra butter for greasing pans
- powdered sugar for dusting right before serving
Special Equipment to make this recipe.
- Cast iron skillets (either individual skillets, ramekins, or a small size skillet).
- mixing bowls and measuring cups/spoons
- A jar to shake the heavy cream (Have you made it this way? Read more in this post).
One of the reasons I love making this is that you don’t need much in the way of equipment to make this. You can use mini skillets, ramekins, or one small skillet. If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet, use a small cake pan or baking dish. You’ll need a whisk (or a fork) works too. I sift the flour and baking powder when I’m home, but when I make this while traveling, I never worry, and it’s fine.
How to make this while traveling
Whenever we travel, and I know we will have a kitchen, I like to bring something to make for dessert. I often pack what I need so I don’t have to buy flour, sugar, etc. I’ll buy a few things like butter, milk, eggs, and fresh fruit.
- In a small Ziploc bag, add flour, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate bag, add a little powdered sugar for dusting.
- Buy milk, eggs, butter, and fruit.
- It can be made in any small oven baking dish.
How to serve mini skillet strawberry shortcakes
Serve with strawberries and blueberries. Top with a dollop of whipped cream, and dust with powdered sugar. Cakes can be served warm or at room temperature. I like to serve in the mini skillets, but they can be taken out of skillets and served on a plate.