I recently made these adorable terra-cotta clay ornaments & gift tags with Brooke’s kids and we we all loved them! Brooke shared them today and I wanted to also share how I made them, the products I used and do a giveaway for one kit so you can make them too! Keep reading for the giveaway!
DIY Terra-cotta gift tags & ornaments are easy to make
Supplies you’ll need:
- One package terra-cotta clay
- Ribbon, leather cord, jute twine or baker’s twine.
- Rolling pin (or you could use a small glass bottle).
- A wooden skewer to make the hole in the clay (you could also use the sharp end to draw a design).
- A small round biscuit cutter to make the circles
- A small cookies press to create the design on the circle
- Essential oils like Christmas Spirit, Orange or Clove
You can read more about how we use and love essential oils in this post.
- Take the clay out of the package and divide into smaller pieces. This makes it easier to roll out.
- Roll out each piece to about 1/8″ thickness on a hard surface just as if you were making cookies.
- Cut shapes into the clay and reshape the clay into a ball and roll again, cutting more circles.
- Using a cookie press like the snowflake, press into each circle so that it leaves an imprint of the design.
- Using a wooden skewer, make a hole into each piece so that you’ll be able to add a piece of cord or twine.
- Place each circle onto a piece of wax paper or parchment paper on a drying rack and allow to dry for 24 hours.
- Add a drop of essential oil onto the surface of the clay and it will last for weeks. You can add an additional drop or two each year so they make your tree and gifts smell wonderful.
- Add a small piece of leather cord or twine and hang on your tree or tie onto a package.
- Clean up with soap & water!
This is such a fun little project that takes about 30 minutes and can be done with kids as young as three! It’s like making sugar cookies only you won’t be tempted to eat the cookie dough! To enter to win this kit, leave a comment here on the blog, and make sure you are following me on instagram on both of my accounts. @most_lovely_things & @anniediamondlivingwell. I’ll announce the winner on Monday and send it out right away so you can make your own clay tags & ornaments!
Shop the supplies
You might also like this post on creating diy gift tags.
Or this one.