One of my favorite summertime desserts is s’mores, but not the standard version made over a campfire. We love making skillet s’mores! They are less messy, and you won’t go home smelling like smoke. If you are new here, every Sunday I join my friends Mary Ann and Cindy to share our favorite finds of the week!
The Ingredients needed for skillet s’mores
- chocolate bars
- mini marshmallows
- Biscoff cookies or Graham crackers
Special Equipment Needed
- Cast-iron individual skillets or one regular size cast-iron skillet
- Kitchen Torch (although not necessary, the broiler works fine)!
- Small plates because the skillets will stay hot! We happen to like these from our everyday collection in the shop!
How do you make them?
What I love most about this dessert, is how easy it is to make. You can have everything assembled and ready to go and when it’s time for dessert, pop in the skillets with the chocolate to melt and then top with marshmallows. Put back in the oven, but this time turn it to the broiler setting. In about 30 seconds they are ready to be served.Print
Skillet S’mores: the best dessert for the 4th of July
The most effortless 4th of July dessert is a little bit fancy in a rustic way!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Two Hershey’s chocolate bars
- One cup of mini marshmallows
- One package of Biscoff Cookies
- Heat the oven to 375º.
- Put the individual skillets on a baking sheet and place four pieces of chocolate in each skillet.
- Melt slowly, rotating the pan halfway through. It takes approximately 5 minutes.
- Then remove from the oven and put 1/4 cup marshmallows on top, and put back in the oven under the broiler.
- WATCH CLOSELY! It takes very little time for the marshmallows to take on a golden color.
- You could use a kitchen torch if you have one, but it’s easier to use the broiler.
- Remove from the oven and carefully place each skillet on a small plate.
- Serve immediately with Biscoff cookies or graham crackers.
Keywords: s’mores, dessert, individual desserts, campfire desserts, summer desserts, outdoor desserts, fun desserts, skillet desserts
Can I use chocolate chips instead of chocolate bars?
Nope, chocolate chips won’t melt. They are made to retain their shape, so it’s very difficult to get them to melt. I’ve tried on occasion when it’s all I had and it’s a very slow process. It’s difficult to get chocolate chips to melt without burning them. This article from Bob’s Red Mill explains why.
What’s the best chocolate to use for melting?
Well for making skillet s’more I have to say that I really like using traditional Hershey’s chocolate bars. We kind of associate S’mores with Hershey’s so even though we are making these slightly more fancy (in a completely rustic) way, I still prefer Hershey’s.
If you don’t have Hershey’s, you can use milk chocolate morsels.
What makes skillet s’mores different?
It’s more like a dip. Skillet s’mores could be made family size to share in one big skillet or in individual size as we have. I think it would also be fun using this 8″ Lodge skillet for two!
2. Berki® Water Filter
We finally got a Berki® Water Filter and we love it! We drink so much water, and we were just using tap water. We gave up bottled water quite a few years ago and have been using our Aark Carbonator, but that only adds carbonation. Berki® Water Filters remove 200+ unsafe contaminants.
We chose the Travel Berki, but as you can see it is just as beautiful as the larger models. This one is the perfect size since it’s just two of us in the house and we love the way it looks on our coffee bar. You can check them all out here!
3. Need a pair of sneakers that are comfortable right out of the box?
Both my kids swear by these Reebok Vintage Sneakers. Patrick is on his second pair and Madeline ordered hers right before a trip to Paris and said they were the most comfortable sneaker ever! And we love the vintage cream color over bright white! Look how cute they are with her vintage beaded bag!
4. A few things I love from The Gap right now + Big Buckle Birks!
Big White Shirt // Bandana // High-waisted Jeans // Packable Hat // Big Buckle Birkenstocks from Nordstrom
These jeans are so comfortable and perfect for summer! I wear jeans even in the summer, but they have to be loose and these are perfect with a t-shirt and Birkenstocks. Pretty much my summer uniform. I’ll throw on this Big White Shirt also from Gap.
5. A few other sales worth mentioning:
Ilia Makeup is 20% off right now.
J. Crew Pacific Scrunchie-Strap Sandals are 58% off, plus an additional 30% off!
Okay, let’s go see what Mary Ann and Cindy found this week!
Classic Casual Home
Cindy Hattersley Design
- Have you tried smashed potatoes?
- Make This Easy Tuscan Winter Soup
- Strawberry Lava Cakes with Homemade Curd
- Easy Gift Ideas for Your Neighbors this Holiday
- classic fried chicken sandwich
- How to make a stock tank garden
- Here’s why you want to try Vietnamese egg coffee right now!
- The best thing about fall…a warm chewy molasses cookie!
- Are you looking for the best lobster roll recipe?
- Some Last minute gift ideas and a festive focaccia bread
- Easy appetizers for holiday entertaining
- Shiplap Walls DIY
Leave a Reply