Make this easy homemade strawberry ice cream with basil for an easy dessert or make this the main reason for getting together! I remember as a kid, we would make homemade vanilla ice cream, and neighbors were invited over and everyone would sit on the porch and it was so easy, nothing else was served and no one minded. I always complicate things, but this is one recipe that even with balsamic roasted strawberries that go into the oven for about 25 minutes, it still just goes into an ice cream maker, and 25-30 minutes later you have the most wonderful ice cream. And this recipe is dairy-free!
We like to eat home made ice cream as soon as it’s ready, so it’s a little soft. You could pop it into the freezer for a few minutes and let it firm up a bit, but we can never wait!Print
Balsamic Strawberry Basil Ice cream
It’s strawberry season and of course, that means it’s also the season of fresh herbs in the garden. For this recipe, you can easily substitute fresh basil for a drop or two of Basil Vitality Essential Oil. (When my kids were little, they would never eat ice cream with green “bits” in it, but would have never objected to the subtle taste of basil)!
- One batch roasted balsamic strawberries (recipe below)
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk (chilled)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (divided)
- 1 handful of fresh basil or 1–2 drops basil vitality.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the balsamic strawberries:
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Line a baking sheet with foil. Combine all the ingredients and pour onto the baking sheet and bake in a 375° oven for 30 minutes.
For the ice cream:
- Pour the balsamic strawberries, an additional 1/4 cup maple syrup, 2 cans of coconut milk, basil (fresh or vitality drops) into the chilled ice cream maker bowl and turn on the machine and let churn for 15-30 minutes. (This depends on your ice cream maker, it took the full 30 minutes for ours).
- Pour into the loaf pan and place in the freezer to firm up a bit or serve soft if you can’t wait!
Placing the ice cream in the freezer just for a few minutes to firm up is okay, a bit too long and homemade ice cream will turn icy.
Somehow after multiple moves, we lost track of our ice-cream maker. I may have loaned it to someone, but I can’t even remember. So I had to buy a new one and this one from Target was very inexpensive, but it works beautifully. I don’t know what more you could want from a more expensive model?
Make sure to check out all of these beautiful strawberry recipes from 12 other bloggers!
13 Summer Strawberry Recipes
Fresh Strawberry Pie // Happy Happy Nester
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes // Inspiration For Moms
Strawberry Tart // Paint Me Pink
Muddled Strawberry Basil Cocktail // Modern Glam
Strawberry Cocktail // Craftberry Bush
Refreshing Strawberry Cocktail // Maison De Cinq
Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Sandwiches // My 100 Year Old Home
Strawberry Basil Ice Cream // Most Lovely Things
Keto Strawberry Shortcake In A Jar // The Happy Housie
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Quinoa // Satori Design For Living
Glazed Strawberry Sweet Bread // Sincerely, Marie Designs
Breakfast Granola Tart // My Sweet Savannah
Easy Strawberry Banana Cheesecake Salad // Twelve on Main