Here’s how to make gold leaf salt cellars using clamshells. Of course, you’ll need to start with some clamshells. We found ours on the beach. Every time we go to The Hamptons, we try to hit at least three beaches for a good long walk and you never know what you’ll find. In Sagaponack at Sagg Beach, we found clamshells. A lot of them!
This idea was one that I saw on Bungalow Blue years ago and I have been meaning to make them ever since. Turns out it is easy to make them and they look beautiful on the dinner table or a buffet table.
The Supplies You’ll Need to Make Salt Cellars
- Clam Shells – If you can’t find them on an East Coast beach, you can order them from Etsy.
- Liquid Gold Leaf
- Small foam brush
- Small spoons
- Clear polyurethene
Here’s how to make them in 5 minutes
- Scrub the clam shells and let them dry
- Pour a small amount of the liquid gold leaf into the clam shell and using the foam brush, brush the gold leaf on the inside of them shell. It goes on very easily and the coverage is so smooth.
- Allow to dry and then apply a thin coat of polyurethane. Before using them for salt and pepper, allow them to cure for 30 days to make sure they are safe to use with food.
How to use the pretty gold leaf salt cellars
On a buffet table with Aplico Ocean Dinnerware
The gold leaf salt cellars look pretty on a table with candles and flowers. Or use them on a buffet table. I like to use trivets (that Brent made) to give a little height on a table with platters bowls.
We used them on our Farmhouse plank with our beautiful linens from Garnet Hill
I added small porcelain spoons and of course salt and pepper.
Here’s 9 more ideas for spring tables!
Blogger’s Best Spring Table DIY
5 Easy Ways to an Almost-Free Spring Centerpiece | Robyn’s French Nest
A Simple Spring Table | Finding Lovely
Clamshell Salt Cellars | Most Lovely Things
Lemon Inspired Spring Tablescape | Twelve on Main
Floral Centerpiece DIY | Happy Happy Nester
Easy DIY Spring Wallpaper Runner | My 100 Year Old Home
Easy Spring Centerpiece with Potted Plants | Inspiration for Moms
Pottery Barn Hand Painted Earthenware Vase Knockof | The Happy Housie
How To Make A Beautiful Succulent Terrarium | Modern Glam
Neutral Spring Table Decor | My Sweet Savannah
- Easy Birch Twig Spring Wreath
- Mini Easter Basket Treat Cups
- How to Make A Simple Spring Flower Wall
- The easy way to create a festive coffee station
- How to build a coffee table bench in 10 easy steps
- DIY Perfume Rollers Using Essential Oils
- A Simple DIY Wax Paper Leaf Cover for your diffuser
- DIY Bug Spray and more + A Giveaway
- DIY Hand Sanitizer
- DIY Citrus Room Sprays
- An update on our painted stone fireplace
- Creating an Outdoor Space for Summer Living . . .
Leave a Reply