I set out to make some mini Easter basket treat cups, but naturally, I wanted to use things I had on hand. Isn’t that the most fun when you can make something fun, beautiful, or useful using things you already have?
I decided to use inexpensive planter pots. These can be found in garden centers or any place that sells seeds. In the spring, they can be found everywhere. A pack of 18 costs less than $5. I cut a scalloped edge to make them look a little more special. Everyone loves a scallop right now. If there were ever a shape or an edge that’s “in-style” – right now, it’s the scallop. I even saw this darling quilted jacket with a scalloped collar from Loeffler Randall.
Here’s what is used to make these adorable mini Easter treat cups:
- Eco-friendly round fiber pots
- Easter basket grass or basket filler
- 18-gauge wire
- candy eggs
- wire cutters
Here’s how I made them:
- First, cut 1/4″ to 1/2″ slits around the pot’s diameter, spacing about an inch apart.
- Then go back and cut your scallop trip from point to point.
- Make a tiny hole on each side to hold the handle using a sharp tip tool or the tip of your scissors.
- Cut a piece of wire that’s about 9″ long.
- Insert one end into the pot about 1/2″ and fold it up so that it holds the wire in place, then repeat on the other side. Now you’ve created your basket handle.
- Fill each cup (basket) with a bit of Easter grass or basket filler, and fill each cup with candy, eggs, or whatever you would like.
Other options for candy
You could fill each with moss, a flower or small plant bulb, or even a packet of seeds.
What to do with the baskets when you’re done
Use them to plant seeds, of course! One of the reasons I love using things like this is that it’s eco-friendly as well as budget-friendly.
The total cost of the project: is about $3
The plantable fiber pots were less than $5 for 18 pots at Walmart. I needed to make six. I used basket filler that I had on hand from other projects, and it’s what I use in my shop, Shop Most Lovely Things.
For the candy, use whatever you like. You could use fancy truffle eggs from Terrain or those candy eggs easily found in the drug store candy aisle.
Leave a Reply