The best thing about fall…a warm chewy molasses cookie! I’m joining several bloggers today to share our favorite fall baking recipes. Our favorite cookie of all time was the large chewy molasses ginger cookies that we would get at City Bakery before it closed in 2019. Nothing comes close to the cookie that City Bakery was known for among other favorites like hot chocolate and apple cider, especially on a brisk fall day.
This recipe (Adapted from the back of the Grandmas’s Molasses jar) reminds me of the City Bakery cookie and I make them extra large just as they did. This recipe makes only 8 large cookies. They are best when they are fresh, so that’s why I make a small batch.
ingredients you’ll need for chewy molasses cookies:
This cookie always makes me think of fall because of the spices: ginger, cinnamon, and clove. They usually don’t last long because everyone loves them, but they do freeze well.
- Butter at room temperature, but not melted.
- sugars – Both white and brown sugar. (I almost always prefer to use dark brown sugar, but whatever you have is fine).
- Molasses – Could a jar of Grandma’s Molasses get any more nostalgic?
- Egg and Baking Soda – A must for tender and chewy cookies.
- Spices – I use a combination of ground ginger, ground clove and ground cinnamon. I always add double the cinnamon, but that’s just personal preference.
- Salt helps bring out the delicious flavors.
- A stand mixer or hand mixer to cream the butter and sugars
- Parchment paper for cookie sheets
- A large scoop with a quick release – The one I have is from Williams Sonoma. It is intended for ice cream. They come in several sizes, to make large cookies, you’ll need this scoop that measures 2″ in diameter. Every cookie comes out the same size and if you want large cookies, this scoop will help get the right size very time!
- A whisk (or a fork works too) and a silcone spatula.
Chewy Molasses Cookies
The perfect chewy molasses cookie just like you may remember having at City Bakery in New York City!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar, plus more for dredging cookies in before baking
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground clove
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, cream the butter and sugars until the mixture is light and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the sides. This takes about 2 minutes at medium-high speed.
- Add in the egg and molasses and combine them into the dough.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients, beat until it is completely incorporated into the dough.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Once the dough is completely chilled, roll into balls, roll in white sugar, and place on cookie sheets. If you are using the large ice cream scoop, you will only be able to bake a few at a time.
If you are using the large ice cream scoop, you will only be able to bake a few at a time. This recipe makes exactly eight large cookies or you could make double that by making much smaller cookies. This is personal preference, but I love one big cookie! If you decide to make smaller cookies, adjust the baking time!
Keywords: cookies, dessert, molasses ginger cookies
13 Fabulous Fall Baking Recipes
The Most Amazing Pumpkin Sheet Cake – Twelve on Main
Fall Pear and Cranberry Tart – My 100 Year Old Home
Mini Pumpkin Bundt Cakes – Happy Happy Nester
Soft Pumpkin Spice Cookies – Paint Me Pink
Old Fashioned Apple Crumble – Sincerely, Marie
Mini Pumpkin Spice Loaves with Cream Cheese Icing – Life Is Better At Home
How To Make Pumpkin Pie From Scratch – The DIY Mommy
Pumpkin Cheesecake Crumble Bars – Maison De Cinq
Maple Crumble Muffins with Maple Butter Glaze – Finding Lovely
Decadent Coconut Pecan German Chocolate Pie – Grace In My Space
Apple Butter Pecan Loaf – My Sweet Savannah
Chewy Molasses Cookies – Most Lovely Things
Easy Fall Apple Tart – inspiration For Moms