This recipe makes exactly 12 Madeleines
If you’ve ever ordered Madeleines at a French restaurant, you know how delicious they are when served fresh out of the oven with a dusting of powdered sugar. That’s the only way the French serve them and I can see why. I make several types of Madeleines and the pumpkin Madeleines with brown butter are my favorite! This recipe makes exactly one tray of Madeleines or little cakes, which is what they are. Perhaps because of their small size and that you eat them with your fingers, people call them a cookie.
The Ingredients for Pumpkin Madeleines
A dusting of Powdered Sugar is all they need
I use a medium ice-cream scoop with a release to get the same size for each Madeleine. I take a scoop of batter and scrape off the excess on the side of the bowl and release it into each little tin. It’s important to turn the pan in the oven halfway through the baking time. I bake for 5 minutes in a 350º oven, then rotate the pan so the Madeleines in the back are now in the front and bake for another 6 minutes. This works every time for me, but you may want to adjust the time slightly based on your oven.Print
Small Batch Pumpkin Madeleines
Madeleines are best enjoyed when they are fresh out of the oven, so I’ve adjusted my last recipe to make a small batch.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 11 minutes
- Total Time: 16 minutes
- Yield: 12 small cakes 1x
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, plus a little more for brushing on pans.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a pinch of ground ginger
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- a pinch of ground cloves
- 2 medium eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Melt butter in a small heavy saucepan on very low heat. It will take about 5-6 minutes for the butter to begin to brown. Once it starts to take on a golden color, watch it closely so it does not burn. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a bit. You’ll need a little of the butter to prepare the pan so the cakes do not stick.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- Place the eggs and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment. Mix on medium-high for about five minutes until it becomes light and creamy. Add the pumpkin and vanilla and mix for a few seconds until combined. Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Gradually add the slightly cooled melted butter and mix. Use a rubber spatula to make sure all ingredients are combined with no pockets of the flour mixture.
- Use a cookie scoop with a release attachment to get the same size each time. After each mold is 3/4 filled, gently tap the pan several times so the dough spreads evenly into each mold.
- Bake each pan in the center of a 350º oven for 5 minutes, rotate the pan, and bake for an additional 5 to 6 minutes. The little cakes should bounce back when pressed gently with the tip of your finger when they are done.
- Allow pan to cool for a few minutes before turning the pan over onto the wire rack releasing each little cake. Dust each with a little confectioners sugar and enjoy while warm!
When I say pinch I mean less than 1/4 teaspoon, but then this depends on how intense you want the flavors of clove, nutmeg, and ginger.
Put a few in a box with parchment paper and tie up the box with bakers twine
But plan carefully, you want to deliver them to a friend that lives close-by so they can be enjoyed while still warm!
17 Sweet Pumpkin Recipes
Pumpkin Banana Bread or Pumpkin Apple Bread? – My 100 Year Old Home
Spiced Pumpkin Cake with Espresso Frosting – Finding Lovely
Creamy Pumpkin Spice Latte – Satori Design For Living
Pumpkin Pie Muffins – Lemon Grove Lane
Pumpkin Muffins with My Secret Crumb Topping– Happy Happy Nester
Easy Pumpkin Roll Recipe – Jennifer Maune
Pumpkin Pecan Cobbler – Sincerely, Marie Designs
Pumpkin Pie Bars – My Sweet Savannah
One Bowl Pumpkin Olive Oil Cake – Modern Glam
Copycat Starbucks Keto Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins – The Happy Housie
Dairy Free Pumpkin Ice-Cream – Zevy Joy
Pumpkin Pastry Twists – Paint Me Pink
Low Carb Keto Caramel Pumpkin Cheesecakes – Tatertots & Jello
Pumpkin Madeleines – Most Lovely Things
Baked Pumpkin Cake Donuts – Inspiration For Moms
Easy Mini Pumpkin Pie – Dreaming of Homemaking
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls – Twelve on Main
Shop the Post