Update to the ingredients on this post!
The recipe I posted below uses 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour. Today, I used whole wheat flour and almond flour and skipped the white flour. They turned out just as delicious!
Make these healthy gingerbread muffins right now and maybe all the way until spring! I hesitated to post these after the holidays, but they are so good and so healthy. Gingerbread seems a little holiday, but these are really more about the ginger and all the healthy ingredients.
They are perfect with a cup of coffee first thing in the morning. I would love to be sharing them with my friends Cindy and Mary Ann as we share our Sunday Favorites with all of you! We appreciate you taking the time to stop by and visit our blogs!
How I adapted this recipe to make it vegan friendly
This recipe was inspired by Pinch of Yum, but I swapped out a few ingredients to make it vegan for a sponsored post with Kite Hill. I am not vegan, but I frequently look for non-dairy alternatives for things like milk, sour cream, and yogurt. This recipe calls for sour cream and Kite Hill sour cream is my go-to for plant-based alternatives.
Healthy Gingerbread Muffins
I made a few swaps to make this recipe dairy-free, but if that’s not your thing, use whatever you like! I promise you’ll love them either way.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: easy
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 egg or egg substitute*
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup sour cream (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Turbinado sugar for topping
1. preheat oven to 375º. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and spray lightly with cooking spray. In a small bowl, whisk melted coconut oil and molasses.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg or egg substitute*, maple syrup, sour cream, almond milk, and ginger. Add the coconut oil and molasses mixture.
3. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir until combined. Using an ice cream scoop with a release, fill each muffin cup with one scoop of batter. It should make exactly 12 muffins. Sprinkle the tops with turbinado sugar and bake for 18-20 minutes. When done, the tops will be a little puffy. Place on a cooling rack for a few minutes. Serve warm!
*egg substitute – One tablespoon flax seed and three tablespoons water. Mix in a small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. It will become gel-like.
Keywords: muffins, breakfast, vegan, healthy, dairy-free, plant-based recipe
2. Concrete Fire Pot by Concrete Encounter
My friend Diane Karmen gave us this Concrete Countertop fire pot for Christmas and it’s one of the coolest gifts I think I’ve ever received. You simply add isopropyl alcohol to the pot and light it. They are made by a company in Bridgeport, CT that also makes concrete countertops, fireplace surrounds, and tables. It makes a statement on its own or you can use it to make s’mores!
3. The perefect sweater from Everlane
Madeline’s Favorite Everlane Sweater: The Felted Merino Half-Zip
When Madeline and I plan short getaways, we like to travel light so we can make the most of our time. Traveling light means no waiting for luggage and even unpacking is easier when you get home!
We each have a sweater from Everlane that we can wear with multiple outfits. A *sweater that can be layered over a dress, a turtleneck, and jeans or black pants. If you are only packing a slip dress, jeans, pants, an extra pair of shoes, underwear, and a few toiletries, you can pack in a bag like this!
The Oversized Stroopwafel Turtleneck in Recashmere is my favorite Everlane sweater that I got last year and it’s still my favorite to wear on its own, with a shirt or a turtleneck. I wear it with jeans, a long skirt, leggings, basically with everything! I chose the color sand because it looks great with all colors of denim and black making it the perfect sweater for winter travel.
*It looks like the color Madeline is wearing might be sold out, but we love the deep caramel!
4. Will you be playing the minimalist game this year?
At the beginning of the year, or maybe even before that when you are putting away holiday decorations, we all start thinking about getting rid of things and organizing. I’m trying to convince my husband to do this with challenge with me. In the end, if we both complete the challenge, we will have gotten rid of almost 1,000 things! We will donate the items or at least make sure they don’t end up in a landfill. You can find out more right here!
One way I will do this is to donate some clothing using ThredUp bags. I’m also using these lawn and garden paper bags. They stand up easily and it makes it easy to fill and then take to Goodwill for donation.
5. The Superfood drink that I take daily like a multivitamin
There’s one thing that I never miss, and that’s drinking 2 ounces of NingXia Red as a daily dose of antioxidants. I’ve never been very good about sticking with a daily regimen of taking vitamins and supplements. And I know why, I hate swallowing pills. Vitamins and supplements are often quite large capsules that I find difficult to get down. I can’t be the only one. For almost three years I have made NingXia and Sulfurzyme Powder part of my overall wellness plan.
Here’s How I drink it:
I mix about 1/2 teaspoon of the powdered Sulfurzyme with 2 ounces of NingXia Red. I fill a large glass with cold sparkling water and give it a stir. It tastes great. I look forward to it every afternoon!
Here’s what I’ve noticed from taking NingXia Red and Sulfurzyme
- It gives me an energy boost. That’s why I like taking it in the late afternoon. I carry a packet with me so that if I’m out running around and my energy is getting low, but I don’t want to stop for a meal, I can drink a packet straight from the pouch and instantly feel better.
- Hair and Nails – I always had brittle nails, not anymore. When they were out of stock of the powdered Sulfurzyme, I did notice a difference. My nails were splitting and breaking. Once taking it again, I never think about my nails. My hair is shiny and healthy. I used to think that as you age, your hair just didn’t look shiny anymore. My hair looks better than it did when I was in my 30s!
- Skin Issues – I used to have very senstive skin and always had some sort of breakout that I attmepted to cover with makeup. So embarrasing at my age, or any age. I never break out anymore!
If you would like to order NingXia Red and Sulfurzyme and you use my referral number, I would love to gift you another one of my favorite YL items, Thieves. You can read about how I use Thieves in this post.
*Place an order using my referral number (18171093) and email me firstname.lastname@example.org so that I can credit your account for $23.50 for a bottle of Thieves Household Cleaner Concentrate and I’ll send you an amber glass bottle and a card that gives you ideas on how to use it!
*offer expires 1/10/21 for *23.50 credit. After 1/10/21, I will send you an amber glass bottle, a sample of Thieves, and a recipe card.