Easy Make Ahead Chocolate Mousse
A simple recipe for chocolate mousse that can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Top with a sprinkle of Maldon Sea Salt and a few Anna’s Gingerbread cookies for a holiday dessert.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 small servings
- Category: dessert
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 ounce water
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 8 ounces heavy cream, whipped
- Combine the chocolate and butter and melt over a hot-water bath. Once melted, stir until smooth and set aside.
- Whip the heavy cream using a stand or hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Combine the egg yolks and water and 2 tablespoons sugar and whisk over a hot-water bath for 15 seconds. Remove from the heat and whip or whisk until cool.
- Combine the egg whites with the remaining sugar and whisk over a hot-water bath for 15 seconds. Remove from the heat and continue to beat or whisk un til full volume. Continue until cool.
- Using a silicone spatula, fold the egg whites into the egg yolks.
- Fold the butter-chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
- Fold in the whipped cream. Continue to gently fold until the mixture becomes one color.
- pour into large measuring cup so that you can pour into small cups or bowls.
- cover each with a small piece of plastic wrap and store in refrigerator.
*For a hot-water bath I use a medium sauce pan with a glass mixing bowl placed on top. I find a size that does not rest on the bottom, but leaves a little space for the water to boil underneath the bowl.
*Recipe adapted from Gourmet Magazine
Keywords: simple, easy recipe, dessert, make ahead dessert, chocolate