Tuscan Vegetable Soup
This is one of those recipes that we make all the time. We have most items on hand at all times and the only thing we may need to buy is the Swiss Chard or Escarole. It’s healthy and delicious.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 50
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: soup
- 3 generous tablespoons olive oil
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- one teaspoon dried basil
- one teaspoon dried oregano
- one teaspoon herbs de Provence
- one teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- parmesan rind
- 4–5 ounces pancetta (pre-packages or from the deli counter)
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 28 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- one carton vegetable broth
- Swiss Chard or escarole, washed and chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy dutch oven and sauté the pancetta, shallots, garlic, herbs and red pepper flakes until the shallots soften.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook until they begin to soften.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, vegetable stock and parmesan rind and cover and cook on medium-low for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the vegetables have softened, remove the parmesan rind and add the Swiss Chard or Escarole.
- Serve in shallow bowls
We like to serve with a slice of whole grain bread. Drizzle bread slices with olive oil and shredded parmesan cheese and broil until melted and lightly browned.
Keywords: soup, main course