Roasted Tomato Soup with a Bubbly Cheese Sandwich
This soup is delicious with roasted plum tomatoes, but if you don’t have them, use canned San Marzano. Hardly anyone will know!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 50
- Category: soup
- Method: easy
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise or 2 28 ounce cans of San Marzano tomatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and placed each in a foil packet
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicy)
- 4 cups low salt chicken or vegetable stock
- Sandwich bread or country french bread that’s thin enough to go into the toaster
- Butter (just a bit to butter the toast before it’s topped with cheese)
- White cheddar cheese to top each bread slice on each mug of soup
- Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and place tomatoes, cut side up on the pan. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil over tomatoes.
- Place the closed packets of garlic on the pan along with the tomatoes and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Cool slightly and carefully remove the garlic cloves and place into a food processor along with the tomatoes and pulse until smooth.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes mixture to a heavy dutch oven and add the chicken or vegetable broth, fresh or dried basil and crushed red pepper
- Bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes.
- Ladle soup into mugs and and top with the toasted and buttered bread. Cover with shredded cheddar and place tray of mugs in the oven just until cheese gets bubbly.
- Let them cool slightly before serving.
Keywords: tomato soup, broiled tomatoes, cheddar cheese, one pot meal