Nordstrom Cafe Tomato Basil Soup
This recipe is from the Nordstrom blog, The Thread
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45
- Category: soup
- Method: easy
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 3 (28 ounce) cans whole San Marzano tomatoes in purée
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped chiffonade
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large dutch oven, sauté the carrots and onions until translucent, about 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add in the basil and crushed red pepper if using
- Add the tomatoes (in their juices) and the chicken broth and bring to a broil
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes
- Remove soup from the heat and blend using a stick blender or in batches in a blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- Add the cream and return pot to the heat for a minute or two, stirring to blend.
- Season with salt & pepper
Ladle soup into bowls and serve Nordstrom style..with a crostini on the rim of the bowl. Sprinkle with a little fresh basil.
Because we don’t always have heavy cream on hand…I have substituted coconut milk replacing the heavy cream. It has a different flavor, but so many fewer calories, that I actually prefer it.
Keywords: soup, comfort food, tomato, one pot meal, lunch, dinner