date cardamom scones
A recipe similar to the date cardamom scone from the LA restaurant, Botanica. I based the recipe on one from the Cup4Cup website.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- 2 cups Cup4Cup Gluten Free Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup full-fat plain yogurt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped small
- 8 drops cardamom essential oil or 1/2 teaspoon dried cardamom
- Preheat oven to 350º and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix the dry ingredients together and add in the cold butter that has been cut into small cubes.
- Once the flour and butter becomes the consistency of a coarse cornmeal, add in the chopped dates, coating to make sure they separate.
- Mix together the egg, yogurt, vanilla and cardamom essential oil and then pour into the dry ingredients.
- Using a fork, mix until the dough comes together.
- Form dough into a ball and flatten slightly so that you have a thick disk.
- Wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Prepare your board with extra flour and roll the dough out to about 1 1/2 thick, reshaping as you go.
- Cut into 12 pieces and place on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 20 minutes until lightly golden brown on top.
Before baking, you can sprinkle a little coarse sugar on top. Serve plain or with butter and jam.
Keywords: scones, muffins, gluten-free